By David Shepardson
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Ford Motor Co (N:) said on Wednesday it will recall 2.15 million U.S. vehicles with potentially faulty door latches.
The second largest American automaker said the recall covers many 2011 through 2015 model-year vehicles. The recalled vehicles may not have had all door latches replaced or correctly replaced when repaired by dealerships under recalls issued in 2015 and 2016.
Ford said a recalled vehicle with a faulty latch may unlatch while driving, but said it is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to the condition.
Ford previously recalled more than 5 million vehicles for varying door latch-related issues since 2015 and has booked hundreds of millions of dollars in costs.
The recall covers some Ford Fiesta (NASDAQ:), C-Max, Focus, Mustang. Fusion, Escape, Transit Connect, Lincoln MKZ and MKC vehicles.
Ford said the latches have a part susceptible to cracking that in some circumstances can lead to doors failing to close. If motorists repeatedly attempt to close the door, it may temporarily close but could open during driving.
Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.