MANILA (Reuters) – Philippine infrastructure projects involving Chinese firms blacklisted by the United States over their roles in constructing artificial South China Sea islands can continue, the president’s spokesman said on Tuesday.
President Rodrigo Duterte will not follow the United States’ move to sanction the Chinese firms as the Philippines is an independent nation and needs infrastructure investment, his spokesman Harry Roque told a regular news conference.
The country’s foreign minister last week said he would recommend the government terminates deals with the blacklisted Chinese companies.
Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.